Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My tips on nutrition for hard gainers

Since I'm a hard gainer I know how frustrating it can be to eat like a machine only to find that I'm not gaining any weight. So here are some tips on gaining muscle mass:

* Try to eat at least six meals a day(snacks and protein shakes counts as well)

* Try to space these meals about three hours apart.

* The goal is to eat enough to gain muscle and not to burn it.

* If you weigh about 180 pounds you must get at least 3600 calories per day.

* This should consist of at least 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day.

* At least 2 grams of carbs and about 0.6 grams of dietary fat(I'm talking about mono-
unsaturated fat and omega-3 fats, not those on greasy steak you ate last Saturday!)
* Protein is by far the most important of the three because it's vital for muscle growth.

* Carbs is the nutrient that gives you the energy to sustain your workout.

* The fat is for maintaining testosterone levels(hormone essential for muscle growth)

* If you use Whey protein, take it directly after weight training to kick start muscle growth.

* Remember to drink enough water during the day, it promotes the release of stored fat and maximizes metabolic effect.
* Always eat breakfast - you must feed early for muscle building later in the day.

No comments: